Those who have experienced a car accident will tell you that it can be a very shocking and puzzling situation. Those who have succumbed to a personal injury as a result of a car accident know this all the more. Accident victims often feel very vulnerable, helpless, and at the hands of their insurance company and the other party’s insurance company. During this often confusing and painful time, car accident victims should consult an injury attorney in order to have their rights protected and preserved.
What to do After the Accident
The steps you do or do not take after your car accident and personal injury can have a long term impact on if and how much you are compensated. Now is not the time to go it alone or make rash decisions based on emotions or being in a financial pinch. Follow these tips to help protect your own interests after a car accident:
- • Do not handle the situation alone. Insurance adjusters may tell you not to use a lawyer or that you do not need one. If they are telling you this, it is probably very far from the truth. Their loyalty is to their employer and not to you. Hire a qualified and professional injury attorney.
- • Consult a lawyer before giving a statement. Usually after a car accident your insurance adjuster will want a tape recorded statement from you. They will be sympathetic to your suffering and injuries and be very friendly; however, their job is to get you to incriminate yourself in the accident. Anything you say can and will be used to lower the amount of money you are offered. Consult a lawyer before giving any statements to insurance companies.
- • Likewise, get legal advice prior to signing any insurance documents. It is important to do this in order to maintain your claim and get the appropriate compensation for your injuries and suffering. Signing documents without a lawyer’s advice may prematurely close your case for lower amounts than you deserve.
- • Get key information at the scene of the accident. After an accident there are many important details that will need to be documented in order to help you lawyer prepare your case for a victory. This important information includes witness names and contact information, names and insurance information for other involved parties, notes of the accident, and physical evidence.
Why Hire a Car Accident Attorney
An experienced car accident lawyer will know what your claim is worth. They will know how to fight for your interests and to get the compensation you deserve to pay your:
- • Medical bills
- • Lost wages
- • Pain and suffering damages
- • Property Damage
They will direct you as to what an appropriate amount and time to settle is. They will help you figure out how to pay your bills or put off paying your bills until your case is settled or seen in front of a jury.
With more than 55 years of combined experience in the field, Henry and Williams Law has dedicated a number of years to the protection and representation of injury victims from all types of accidents, including car accidents caused by a drunk driver, a hit and run and more.